Pancreatic Cancer Symptoms
pancreatic cancer currently ranks fifth among the leading causes of cancer death and is a growth of malignant cells in the pancreas, pear-shaped organ located behind the stomach and below.The pancreas secretes digestive enzymes into the small intestine through the common bile duct and pancreatic hormones (insulin and glucagon) in the blood.Pancreatic cancer violates the digestive process;with the growth of the tumor can block the bile duct.Most cases of the disease noted at the age of 50 years;in men, the disease occurs somewhat more often than women.Treatment is possible with early detection and surgical removal of the pancreas.However, pancreatic cancer is extremely difficult to diagnose, and the time when symptoms appear, the cancer has spread, so recovery is rarely observed.Islet cell tumors (insulinoma) are much less common.They secrete excessive amounts of insulin, causing a low blood glucose (hypoglycemia).
Age. risk of pancreatic cancer increases with age.Almost all patients with pancreatic c
Paul. Men ill 1.5-2 times more often than women.
Race. African Americans often suffer from pancreatic cancer compared to white-skinned population.
Locations.Pancreatic cancer is more common in urban than rural residents, regardless of their social status.
Bad habits (smoking and alcohol). is believed that a third of all cases of pancreatic cancer is caused by smoking.It is possible that smoking is associated with a higher incidence of pancreatic cancer in men.And alcohol stimulates the secretory function of the pancreas, creating conditions for disease development.
diet rich in meat products and fats. There is evidence that the incidence of cancer increases with the consumption of fats.Less risk of those who adheres to a diet rich in fruits and vegetables that contain retinoids and vitamins.
Diabetes .Pancreatic cancer is diagnosed more often in patients with diabetes.The incidence is clearly linked to the development of diabetes mellitus for 2 or more years before the appearance of the tumor.
Chronic pancreatitis (long-term inflammation of the pancreas) associated with an increased risk of cancer of this localization.
occupational hazard. Some chemicals that are used in the oil refining, pulp and paper, asbestos production, can provoke cancer of the pancreas.
family history. It happens that in some families with pancreatic cancer occurs in some people.Changes in DNA can lead to increased risk of various cancers.
• Pancreatic cancer cause is unknown.
• Pancreatic cancer is often marked with the experience in smokers than non-smokers.
• Effect of solvents, oil and coal-tar components can lead to disease.
• Hereditary pancreatitis may be associated with a greater risk of pancreatic cancer.
• Poor appetite;weight loss.
• Pain in the upper right or central abdomen.The pain may spread to the back and may subside in a sitting position when tilted forward.
• Nausea and vomiting.
• Diarrhea or constipation, dark urine or light stools.
• Feeling of fullness.
• Fatigue, depression, and mood changes.
• Tremors, irritability, profuse sweating, chills, dizziness and muscle spasms in patients with islet cell tumors due to hypoglycemia.
on what changes in state of health need to pay attention, if you are at risk?The matter is complicated by the fact that in the early stage of the disease is almost never seen, so people do not seek medical help.In some cases, there is a feeling of heaviness after eating, heartburn, disturbed bowel function: develop bloating, constipation, rarely - diarrhea.Often there is an aversion to fatty foods or meat.
first alarming symptom of the disease is most often the pain occurs in 70-85% of patients.Some people describe it as a feeling of pressure, fullness or a dull constant nagging pain, while others complain of a sharp pain in the right upper quadrant or epigastric.
Sometimes blunt background of constant pain attacks occur is extremely strong, unbearable pain that last from several minutes to several hours.A man takes a forced position, leaning back in his chair or leaning over the pillow pressed to his stomach.This position of the hook fairly typical for patients with pancreatic cancer running.It is noted that the pain often occurs or gets worse in the evening or at night, when a person lies on his back, and after a heavy fatty food and alcohol intake.
then develop jaundice, which is steadily increasing.Initially, the skin has a bright yellow color with a reddish tinge, due to accumulating bilirubin.In the future, as the oxidation of bilirubin, jaundice gets a greenish tint.Jaundice is accompanied by a change in the color of urine and feces.Usually, because of the overlap of the common bile duct tumor stool becomes lighter, it has a kind of white clay.If, however, for him mingled with blood, stool acquire a silvery hue.Urine, on the contrary, it becomes dark brown in color and resembles a beer color.
Most patients do not give rest to strong itching, which causes insomnia and increased irritability often leads to numerous scratches, traces of which are visible on the skin.
• First perform an x-ray chest and abdomen.
• Ultrasound and CT scans help detect about 80 percent of the disease.Further analyzes were performed if the diagnosis is uncertain.
• Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography is conducted using a thin tube with a light (endoscope) that is inserted through the throat into the small intestine.The bile duct injected contrast material and X-rays do.The endoscope can also be used for biopsy.
• The diagnosis is confirmed by a biopsy of the pancreas -uniqueness accurate method of diagnosis of pancreatic cancer;taking a sample of tissue with a needle, and in some cases during gastric surgery.
only way to radical treatment for pancreatic cancer is surgery.Typically, these operations are complex and difficult tolerated.When pancreatic body and tail cancer resection is performed it with the removal of the spleen.In some cases, additional wires radiotherapy and chemotherapy.
• Surgical removal of the tumor is possible if the tumor is relatively small and has not spread;removal of the tumor may extend life.It may require removal of the entire pancreas, and part of the small intestine.
• Operation of circumvention of the bile duct is blocked tumor may be performed to reduce the symptoms.
• Chemotherapy combined with radiation therapy can destroy cancer cells and reduce the symptoms.
• Analgesics or narcotics prescribed to relieve pain.Antihistamines or amphetamines can be used to enhance the analgesic effect.When severe pain surrounding nerves may be cut off or destroyed by alcohol injection during surgery.Tablets containing pancreatic enzymes, may be prescribed if the food is poorly absorbed due to the weakening of pancreatic secretion.
Consult your doctor if you develop symptoms of pancreatic cancer.
Currently, no clear guidelines on the prevention of this disease.However, reasonable to avoid smoking while minimizing exposure to toxic chemicals at home and in the workplace longer eat fruit and vegetables, whereas animal fats should be limited.
If untreated pancreatic cancer poor prognosis.However, with appropriate treatment for patients live five years or more after they detect this type of cancer.