Types of infant formula
artificial mixtures are available in three forms:
• dry mixture with the instructions of how to add water;
• liquid concentrate that is diluted with water in half;
• ready-to-drink liquid mixture, which can be directly poured into the bottle.
your choice form the mixture depends mainly on the time and money.Dry mixes the cheapest, but the preparation of these milk out most of the time;ready to eat a mixture of the most expensive, but the easiest to use.Although more expensive, ready-to-drink mix is best suited when you travel or when you are too busy to cook milk powder.Check the date of sale to the final packaging with mixture;do not buy or use dented cans or leaking, damaged packages.
nutrient content is approximately the same in the dry and liquid mixtures.The difference is the type of oil used as the fat source.used corn oil and soybean oil in the liquid in a dry form for making certain mixtures.Note on liquid mixtures against dry.Because technically difficult to turn liquid oils and fats t
recommended to use iron-fortified mixture unless your doctor tells you otherwise.Mixtures marked "low iron" contain insufficient amounts of iron;in my opinion, there is no reason to use them.Fortified with iron mixtures containing iron recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics and other organizations.Talk with your doctor what kind of iron-rich mixture of select.As contained in the artificial mixture of iron is not absorbed as well as iron from breast milk, be prepared for the fact that the chair of your child receiving artificial feeding will be green (iron is green).In this case, the green chair is irrelevant.Although some parents claim that the mixture enriched with iron cause their child greater disorder than the mixture without iron-control studies, in which compared the mixture with iron and without it showed that there was no difference in their ability to induce gastrointestinal distress.
«hypoallergenic" soy mixture
In truth, there is only one gi-poallergennaya mix - human milk.For years, soy mixture to impose a less allergenic than mixtures based on cow's milk, but we have these prejudices against soy mixtures:
• While the soy mixture can cause allergies less common than mixtures based on cow's milk, 30-50%children who are allergic to cow's milk are also allergic to soy.
• In families where there are many cases of allergy, parents sometimes recommended to begin to feed the newborn soya blend in the hope of preventing the emergence of allergies later.Research has not given confirmation of this practice.newborn soya blend initial feeding does not reduce the possibility of allergy in the future.Also, the use of soy mixtures does not reduce the risk of infant colic (abdominal pain).For these reasons, the Committee Nutrition American Academy of Pediatrics does not recommend using a mixture of soy protein as the main means of preventing colic or for children with potential allergies.
• Soy is found in many foods, often concealed as a supplement manufacturer.If give soy child in infancy, when the intestine more permeable to soybean allergens, it may lead to a predisposition to a child allergic to soybeans in the future, even when it becomes an adult.
• Labels majority of soy mixtures is now full of the words "does not contain lactose."The point of using artificial formulas without lactose questionable.Lactose - a sugar found in human milk and in the milk of other mammals.Why go against the experimental nature?Lactose improves the absorption of calcium, it helps to multiply in the gut of useful bacteria of the child, as well as a rich source of galactose - valuable for the brain nutrient.(Replaces the lactose sugar in some soya blend is corn syrup, which itself is an allergen.) The child's intestine has lactase enzyme intended for the digestion of lactose.However, often there temporary shortage of lactase after undergoing intestinal infection.Although it is sometimes recommended to use a mixture of soy to reduce emerging as a result of diarrhea, the Committee Meal American Academy of Pediatrics does not recommend the use mixture lactose free for children recovering from diarrhea every day.Most
• Soy contains more salt mixtures and the biological availability (activity) are added to the zinc and iron may be lower than the other mixtures.
At the moment, the only indisputable indication for the use of soy mixtures lactose are cases when a child lactase deficiency, a rare disease in which the body can not digest lactose, and some cases of allergy to cow's milk mixture.Always consult with your pediatrician before moving on soya blend, if you feel that your child has an allergy to cow's milk.
Other "hypoallergenic" mixture
When you see on the label of a mixture of the inscription "hypoallergenic" or "hydrolyzed protein", these terms mean that a potentially allergenic protein was pre-processed, ie broken down into smaller proteins thaton the theory of least allergenic.Children who are allergic to a mixture of cow's milk can tolerate these mixtures is better, but for a price.Mixtures of proven hypoallergenic (Nutramigen, Pre-gestimil, Alimentum), very expensive (four to five times more expensive than conventional mixtures).Another drawback of some of these compounds is the absence of lactose as a carbohydrate source and replacing it with a modified corn syrup and corn starch.And the third problem is their unpleasant taste.