Pain in the lower back , lumbar - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment .MF .
Back pain can occur on the right, left, pregnancy (in the early and late stages).
Pain in the lower back - a kind of retribution for human bipedalism when the greatest burden falls on the lumbar spine, bearing the brunt of the human body weight.Detrimental effect on the spine and have a lack of exercise, poor diet, obesity, stress.For many, back pain (lumbodynia) - so common that it becomes part of everyday life.It can occur only once, and disappear without a trace, and may return again and again.As a rule, most patients recover within 2-3 months, only a small number of patients with complaints of lumbalgia identified serious disease.
Lumbar pain can be of different nature - aching, occurring after prolonged sitting or a night's sleep, or sharp shooting pains that are caught in a very awkward position, and make it impossible to straighten.Pain may be associated with pinching the nerve roots , annoyance own nerves of the spinal column , as well as swelling and irritation of the muscles and ligaments
Back pain can be divided into primary and secondary.
primary reasons for pain in the lower back due to pathology of the spine - degenerative and functional changes in the joints of the vertebrae, intervertebral discs, muscles, tendons, ligaments.
Spine - a series of vertebrae interconnected elastic tissues - muscles and ligaments.They (except bone) contain nerve endings and can be the source of back pain.
Secondary pain syndrome loin associated with traumatic lesions of the spinal tumor and infectious processes, diseases of internal organs, including the pelvic organs in women, osteoporosis and other diseases.This kind of alarm about the problems in the body.At the back pain are many reasons not necessarily related to the spine pathology.Especially common causes constant pain - benign and malignant diseases of the pelvic organs in men and women (endometriosis, uterine fibroids, dysmenorrhea, ovarian inflammatory disease, lesions of large vessels, kidneys, chronic prostatitis, some diseases of the nervous system).
most common cause of back pain - osteochondrosis of the spine, which is manifested as a result of pinched nerve roots extending from the spinal cord at one level or another.
back pain, osteochondrosis, disc herniation, disc protrusion
There are many states of health that lead to pain in the spine (back and waist).Some of them are congenital as spin bifida (spina Bifida), others are formed with age (osteochondrosis, spondylosis, spondylarthritis, osteoporosis, etc.).However, most of the causes of pain in the spine (back and waist) of the working population are connected in their origin with the same type of physical activity at work (sitting behind the wheel of a car or sedentary work at the computer), and spinal cord injuries.
in outpatient practice in patients with spinal osteochondrosis is most common mechanism of accumulation of back pain.The emergence of persistent pain symptoms in the spine (back and waist) on the background of already existing degenerative disc disease is preceded by the presence of discomfort to the patient over a long period of time.
pain in the spine (back and waist) are much less common in individuals leading sport lifestyle.Prevention of development of osteochondrosis and the emergence of pain in the spine (back and waist) contribute primarily self-study exercises, active.This removes the daily workload of the same muscles, ligaments and joints of the lumbar spine.
Compression of the sciatic nerve with the occurrence of leg pain in spinal osteochondrosis with a hernia disc.
Common causes of pain in the spine (back and waist), include:
- muscle spasm (acute or chronic)
- protrusion or herniation of intervertebral disk (with a possible pinched nerve)
- degenerative process of the spine (osteochondrosis, spondylosis,spondylolisthesis)
- disease Sheermana Mau
- ankylosing spondylitis
- spinal stenosis
- sacroiliitis (inflammation of the sacroiliac joint)
- arthrosis sacroiliac joint
- intervertebral joint arthrosis (spondylarthritis), etc.
Back pain in lumbar osteochondrosis
Back pain with osteochondrosis may be exacerbated by coughing and sneezing, with any movement, especially when bending the torso forward.In addition to back pain, lumbar osteochondrosis can manifest violation of the sensitivity of certain areas of the skin or the muscles of the lower half of the body and legs, the weakening or disappearance of tendon reflexes feet.As a rule, the curvature of the lumbar spine is observed in osteochondrosis.Depending on the plane in which bending occurs, distinguish scoliosis (curvature of the right or left), lordosis (forward bulge) and kyphosis (smoothing lumbar bulge or even his back).In that case, if there is an osteochondrosis of the spinal cord pinched, there is a violation of urination or defecation, as well as violation of the sensitivity of the bladder or reproductive organs.
However, most low back pain lumbar radicular pain manifests itself - ie,developing as a result of pinched nerve roots extending from the spinal cord at one level or another.So, one of the well-known lumbar syndrome - lumbago.There he was at the time of physical exertion or in an awkward position of the body, and sometimes for no apparent reason.Suddenly, within a few minutes or hours, there is a sharp pain shoot through ( "cross"), it is often a burning and arching ( "as if the number of stuck in the waist").The patient stiffens in an awkward position, can not straighten up, if there was an attack at the time of lifting weights.Attempts to come down from the bed, cough or bend the leg accompanied by a sharp increase in pain and sacrum.If a patient asked to stand up, it revealed a sharp immobility throughout the lumbar region due to muscle tension.
Back pain in lumbago
lumbago (lumbago; lat lumbus loin;. Synonym lumbago) - is an attack of sudden and sharp pain, as well as the surge of muscles in the lumbar region.There is, as a rule, at the time of exercise, or after it, and is triggered by overheating and subsequent cooling of the body.
Back pain in lumbago appear in the initial stage of the degenerative process in the intervertebral disc nucleus pulposus which loses its elasticity and splits into separate fragments.Fragments of the kernel on exertion and movements of the spine are putting pressure on the fibrous ring that contains sensitive receptors.Irritation of the receptors in the spinal segment is the cause of pain, reflex reactions and tonic tension of muscles of the lumbar region.
character suddenly appearing sharp pain - vomiting, throbbing, piercing, shooting.The patient can not straighten up, your back muscles are strained.The slightest movement, coughing or physical stress exacerbate the pain.Exerting pressure on the lower back hurts.During the attack the person becomes helpless, frozen in a forced position, any attempt at movement intensifies the pain, develops muscle spasm lumbar region.Duration of pain from a few minutes to several hours or days.At rest in the supine position the acute pain subsides on a rigid surface.Sometimes severe pain disappears as suddenly as it had appeared.In this case, patients have the feeling that in the lower back "something fell into place."
Repeated attacks of lumbago pains often appear in the back or posteroexternal thigh or lower leg (sciatica), which indicates the involvement in the pathological process of the corresponding spinal roots.
Sciatica is caused by pinching the spine, which is located slightly lower than lumbago.
Back pain sciatica
Sciatica (Greek ischiás, from ischíon -. The pelvis, thigh, plural ischía - seat), sciatica, disease spinal roots lumbosacral and mainly sciatic nerve.This is the largest nerve in the human body.It has its origins in the five different levels of the spinal cord in the lumbar spine, the department that bears the brunt.Then, the sciatic nerve runs down the leg, divided into smaller nerves that go to the thigh, knee, calf, ankle, foot and toes.Because of the large extent of the sciatic nerve and its close ties with many organs, diseases of the sciatic nerve occur very often.
pain of sciatica is the most diverse.Among the possible types of pain sensations occur shooting pain, burning, tingling, "creepy" and numbness at the same time.The pain of sciatica can be so severe that the patient can not sleep or perform such necessary actions to sit, stand, walk, bend down or turn.
shooting pains occur in the buttock and back of the leg, usually on one side of the body.As in the case of lumbago, they are enhanced with a change in body position.At the foot revealed a particularly painful to the touch areas - a bony protrusions on the lower edge of the buttocks and the knee.Along with this painful nodules found themselves in the muscles of femur and tibia.
attacks of lumbago and sciatica tend to recur throughout life.Therefore it is very important to identify the type of load or the position of the body that trigger their appearance.This will prevent the development of seizures.Acute symptoms of the disease cropped analgesics, anesthetic blockades in the spine, as well as special techniques for stretching the spine and gluteal oblasti.Lechenie syndrome should be complex.
Backaches for kidney
Pain in the lumbar region is one of the characteristic signs of kidney disease.
for kidney disease is characterized by the constant "dull" ache in costovertebral corner from the diseased kidney.Often the pain radiates ( "pays") in the upper quadrant, the navel and the lower abdomen.Described the pain caused by rapid stretching of the renal capsule, such as swelling in the background of acute pyelonephritis or a blocked ureter.Meanwhile, many diseases - chronic pyelonephritis, hydronephrosis, malignant tumors and polycystic kidney disease - occur without pain, as accompanied by very slow stretching of the renal capsule.
Possible causes of low back pain
Back pain can occur if you:
- Spend a lot of time behind the wheel of a car or a computer
- is engaged in a dynamic physical work with a sharp body position change (especially if your profession is associated with heavy physical activity)
- Excessive load the yourself in the gym or health club.Be extremely careful if you start to train newly
- conducted mainly sedentary (office workers) or standing (sellers, waiters, servants of outdoor advertising, surgeons) lifestyle
- is interested suburban works
- Additional risk
women -you are pregnant or have recently given birth
- have reached menopause, disposing to the development of osteoporosis
diseases in which there is pain
osteochondrosis of the spine - Benign and malignant diseases of the pelvic organs.(Prostatic diseases, including - chronic prostatitis presence of certain diseases in the pelvic region, for example, -. Tumors).
- herniated discs
- Pain in the back, appearing after a long walk, indicate the possibility of spinal canal stenosis.The disease manifests itself spinal syndrome (psevdoperemezhayuscheysya) lameness.The patient complained of pain and cramps in the lower back and buttocks, appearing during walking.The pain settles in the position of sitting or lying down, but intensified again when resuming physical activity.
- polymyalgia rheumatica - a syndrome that develops in elderly patients, starting usually with gradually intensifying pain and stiffness in the proximal upper extremities, polymyalgia rheumatica may also manifest pain in the proximal lower limbs and waist.
1. osteochondrosis (dorsopathies) - the most common source of pain in the lower back.The examination detected Dege nerativnye spine diseases - osteoarthritis, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis.It decreases the height of the intervertebral disc, which leads to violations of the mechanical balance between the vertebral column structures - hence the constant, quite tolerant, but periodically increasing pain.
2. Muscle spasm .When the unusual there is an acute back pain for you intense and excessive physical exertion?Predisposing factors - long static incorrect body position (the computer to squat, bent in half during the summer work).As a result, it develops a muscle spasm restricting the mobility of certain spine.Caught muscles become a source of pain, triggering a vicious circle of "pain - muscle spasm - pain."Such a condition can persist for a long time and causes a lot of unpleasant moments.Attention!In constant pain, especially if it starts to get hot, consult your doctor to identify the disease and caused her to develop a modern and appropriate treatment.
3. Herniated disc , squeezing the roots of the spinal cord, is particularly common in men older than 40 years.The first sign of trouble - lumbodynia in conjunction with a number of additional features: pain along the spine from the buttock to the foot by coughing, sneezing and laughing, difficulty slopes and spine extension in the lumbar (This is particularly true when equipped socks and shoes), increased unpleasantsensations when picked straight leg lying on his back.This pain is often called outdated term "sciatica" or colloquial word "cross".The pain is worse in the upright position and subsides in the horizontal.
4. spine instability - a typical problem of middle-aged women.It manifested back pain, increasing during prolonged physical exertion and standing.At the same time there is a feeling of fatigue and a desire to lie down.The disease is caused by lesions of the intervertebral disc or joint and often occurs on a background of moderate obesity.Such patients are not hard to bend and straighten up, to do the "extra" movement.
5. narrow spinal canal. most common symptom - pain at rest, combined with pain when walking.It extends along the spine from the buttocks to the feet, and the pain is always, even lying down or sitting, to the extent that to sit in the "sick" buttock impossible.narrow spinal canal syndrome - a consequence of degenerative changes, the growth of bone and articular structures of the spine, which leads to the infringement of spinal nerve roots.Your actions.Whatever the cause of low back pain, to determine its own impossible.If the back does not rest, day or night, it is better to see a specialist in a timely manner, which will prompt treatment strategy.
diagnosis for pain in the lower back
When back pain and lumbago advised to undergo computer (indicates the status of the bone tissue of the spine) and magnetic resonance (allows you to assess the condition of the soft tissues) scan and ultrasound to make internal organs.
One method of diagnosis is radiography - a relatively cheap method, and can be useful to identify a number of disorders, from fractures to kidney stones.