Backache.Aching back .- Causes, Symptoms and Treatment .MF .
Back pain - a symptom diseases, often, back and spine muscles.In this article we look at why back pain.
problem in the lower back may be due to bone tissue of the spine diseases, lumbar discs between the vertebrae, ligaments around and spinal discs, spinal cord and nerves, muscles of the lower back, internal organs of the pelvic and abdominal cavity, and the skin covering the lumbarregion.The upper part of the back can hurt as a consequence of aortic diseases, breast tumors or inflammation of the spine.
suddenly appeared short-lived pain is also called lumbago, and gradually develop chronic - lumbodynia.If a sore lower back (coccyx) - it coccygodynia.
reasons for pain in the back
In most cases, back pain due to musculoskeletal disorders (microdamages ligaments and joints of the spine after heavy loads on them, sprain or muscle spasm).Several less common cause of pain become more pronounced changes in the spine, such as herniated discs or vertebral displacement (spondylolisthesis).Finally, in rare
Possible causes pain
back • Muscle spasms
• Stretching (ligament injury)
• Muscular injury
Pregnancy • Scoliosis
• Bleeding in
pelvis • Dissection of the aorta
• Spine Infections and
pelvis • Lumbar spinal stenosis
• Metastases in the spine (cancer that has spread to the spine from other organs)
• Viral infections, including influenza
Diseases in which back pain
• abdominal aortic aneurysm
• Ankylosing spondylitis
• bone cancer
• Degenerative disease of vertebrate
disks • Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis
• Kidney stones
disease • pancreatitis, pancreatic cancer (girdle pain)
• psoriatic arthritis
• Reactive arthritis
• Shingles (pain and characteristic skin rash)
more dangerous pain
back usually pain are ongoing in the back, worse on movement and physical activity and accompanied by a restriction of mobility in the spineand a feeling of stiffness in his back.In most cases, it is characterized by recurrent course in which exacerbations episodes, usually provoked by intense physical exercise, length of stay in an uncomfortable position, or hypothermia, replaced by a more or less long periods, during which the pain is minimal or absent.
In most cases, back pain does not represent a direct threat to human life and health, and often disappear on their own (without treatment).However, sometimes back pain can be due to serious diseases of the spine or internal organs.
Below are the features of back pain, which may be associated with severe disease.If you have any of these symptoms should seek medical advice immediately and in any case not to self-medicate.
- Back pain is constant and is localized in one place.
- Back pain is not reduced in the supine position or there at night.
- Back pain is accompanied by fever.
- Back pain is accompanied by tension of muscles and combined with the long-term stiffness in the morning.
Diagnosis of back pain
- examination by a neurologist to evaluate the condition of the nervous system, muscles and spine.
- General blood and urine tests to rule out inflammatory process in the kidneys.
- spine X-ray to rule out osteomyelitis, fractures and other diseases it.To clarify the changes identified in the X-ray the doctor may prescribe an additional computer or magnetic resonance imaging of the spine (allows the first detailed assessment of the state of bone structures, the second - the spinal cord and intervertebral discs).
Very often these studies reveal degenerative changes of intervertebral discs and vertebral bodies and diagnose "osteochondrosis".It should be noted that osteochondrosis in itself is not a disease, but reflects the age of the spine changes.These or other changes in the intervertebral discs (including hernia) reveals almost all middle-aged people, including never experienced back pain.In other words, the identification of signs of osteoarthritis on x-ray or a disc herniation by magnetic resonance imaging may not give reason to believe that back pain is associated with them (such a decision can make only a doctor based on the results of clinical examination).
Treatment of back pain
completely cured of back pain is often not possible, but you can minimize the frequency of exacerbations with the right lifestyle and medication.Treatment of back pain depends on the cause of their appearance.Choose a course of treatment that is suitable for you, the doctor can only.
effect remedial measures may take time, so you need a lot of patience and endurance.The main goal of treatment is not only to treat acute pain, but also to prevent the exacerbation of the disease in the future.
How to ease the pain in his back
Bed rest can facilitate the transition of acute back pain in chronic.With this in mind, at moderate pain is no need for bed rest, and with intense pain should be to limit its duration (1-3 days).
If back pain, it is necessary to limit this time physical activity, in particular, to avoid heavy lifting and prolonged stay in one position;it is important to make movements without increasing the load on the spine.
To unload the spine and provide him standstill advisable to use a special belt or corset.
Medicines for pain
back Treatment depends on the cause of back pain, and assigns it to the doctor after the test.
for relieving pain using nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (for example, diclofenac), issued in the form of tablets, ampoule injection mold, creams and gels, and pain medications [for example, paracetamol, metamizol sodium ( "Analgin") or a combination of drugs].The preparations of both groups is assigned a short course (usually no more than 3-5 days).In addition, to eliminate pain compresses applied to solutions of local anesthetics [such as procaine ( "Novocain")] and medical blockade (which only a doctor can perform).
When the pain associated with muscle tension, using drugs, eliminating muscle spasm (muscle relaxants centrally acting - tolperisone, tizanidine for 1-2 weeks).Taking these drugs can only be prescribed by a doctor.
Currently, the treatment of back pain associated with degenerative changes of the spine (osteochondrosis), suggest using chondroprotectors - drugs that stimulate the production of the main components of cartilage, thereby slowing its destruction.chondroprotectors Efficiency in spinal diseases has not been proved, the same can be said of many widely advertised supplements (usually containing medicinal plants, biological products, vitamins, etc.), and homeopathic remedies.Despite the fact that all of these tools are freely dispensed in pharmacies without a prescription should not take them without first consulting your doctor.
Physiotherapy and exercise therapy for pain in the back
To reduce the severity of the pain can be applied dry heat (but not deep heating) and other physical therapy, but only after consulting your doctor.
After the acute period of useful lessons gymnastics at special complexes (strengthening the back muscles, abdominals) and massage.
Manual therapy for pain in the back
chiropractic doctor may prescribe only after X-ray and / or magnetic resonance imaging, which allows to objectively assess the state of the spine and its surrounding tissues.If done correctly, manual therapy (spinal impact on the joints, ligaments and muscles) allows you to adjust many local disorders (eg, muscle tension, joint subluxations), which sometimes allows you to quickly and effectively eliminate back pain.
Chiropractic has contraindications and limitations:
- When hernias or destruction of intervertebral discs (fragments displacement can lead to compression of the spinal cord, spinal nerve roots and blood vessels).
- After suffering a myocardial infarction, stroke, oncological diseases, tuberculosis of the spine, a violation of the endocrine system function in patients with severe osteoporosis.
- In marked aggravation, accompanied by a sharp restriction of spinal mobility due to pain and stress of the back muscles (possible increase in symptoms).
- When vascular diseases and disorders of blood coagulation system.
Improper execution of manual therapy can lead to serious complications, so it should only be a qualified technician (a physician).Absolutely unacceptable conduct manipulation middle medical staff and persons without medical training!
Acupuncture (acupuncture) often has a positive effect at moderate back pain, especially due to muscle tension and combined with psycho-emotional disorders.Although, according to the ideas of traditional Chinese medicine, acupuncture can be applied at any diseases, it is assumed that acupuncture is contraindicated in the following cases.
In diseases of the heart and blood vessels.
the presence of benign and malignant tumors (including the last).
In diseases requiring emergency surgery.
When violations of renal and hepatic function.
If there is tendency to bleeding or reception of drugs that violate the blood clotting.
In acute infectious diseases.
Prevention of pain in the back
- Use a comfortable bed with an elastic and hard mattress.
- Try to maintain good posture while walking.
- Maintain proper posture at a desk, working with computer.Note that when the forearms were not suspended and totally lay on the table.With prolonged use, use a chair with a backrest, headrest and armrests for rest and relaxation.
- Avoid prolonged stay in one position (at the computer, driving a car).Try as much as possible every half hour to stretch, warm up, move.
- A long stay in a standing position to get a foothold back, arms or head (for example, lean back against a vertical surface in the underground train).
- If you wear high heels, remember that walk in it without a break can be not more than 2 hours.
- Avoid sharp turns and tilts the body, always look for support to carry out such actions.
- should squat, but not bend if required to lift something from the floor.
- Do not lift or carry heavy loads, carrying them in front of him, avoid jerks and try to keep your back straightened.
- strengthens the back muscles with physiotherapy, swimming, exercising at the gym.
- Maintain normal body weight
symptoms like back pain: back pain, lower back pain, back aches