Heaviness in the stomach - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment .MF .
The rapid pace of life in recent times often forcing people to forget that you need to eat right, to avoid the unpleasant consequences of snacking on the run.The consequences of these are expressed in the appearance of unpleasant sensations and discomfort, and may even lead to diseases of the digestive tract.
One of the first bells that not all beneficial to the digestive system, is a heaviness in the stomach.It is the feeling of being in the stomach area under the ribs epigastric overcrowded, patients in such cases, describe their condition the term "got the stomach."There may be nausea and unpleasant burping.The reasons for this discomfort can be a fairly harmless and caused by diseases of the stomach, intestines, liver and pancreas.
for successful digestion and absorption of food requires coordinated work of these bodies.If you violate any of these features may cause heaviness in the stomach.
Possible causes heaviness in the stomach
Heaviness in the stomach after eating may be due to the follow
- error in the diet and eating fatty, fried, spicy, spicy dishes in large quantities,
- overeating, especially inlater time,
- constant snacking between meals,
- frequent consumption of fast food - food,
- eating disorders - eating once or twice a day instead of four to six, the use of large amounts of food at one meal, receptionfood while watching TV or reading.
Heaviness in the stomach on an empty stomach may occur in the following situations:
- taking certain medications, such as antibiotics,
- alcohol and smoking, coca consumption - cola, lemonade can irritate the stomach lining, causing discomfort,
- functional disorders of the gastro - intestinal tract - irritable bowel syndrome, manifested not only the severity of epigastric but also manifestations of dyspepsia - nausea, alternating liquid unstable stool with constipation, intense abdominal pain,
- constant stress leads to increased production of hydrochloric acidin the stomach, which adversely affects the mucous membrane,
- pregnancy - a physiological state capable of squeezing into force the uterus to deliver visceral discomfort that disappears after childbirth.
Diseases accompanied by heaviness in the stomach
Most often, heaviness in the stomach without any other symptoms occur because of errors in the diet.But it is not uncommon for such a feeling is a sign of a disease, and if it is combined with other symptoms.
Gastritis - a disease characterized by inflammation of the inner wall of the stomach due to poor nutrition, infection with the microorganism Helicobacter Pylori, the irritating effect of hydrochloric acid in the stomach, or on the contrary, the lack of its production.Manifested such features as:
- heaviness in the stomach,
- nausea, especially after eating,
- rare vomiting,
- belching smelly,
- persistent dull or sharp pain in the epigastric region.
stomach ulcer develops gradually due to the same reasons as gastritis, but differs from it in the formation of ulcers - defects in the wall of the stomach from the inside.It manifested the same symptoms, so you should be screened for differential diagnosis.ulcers danger is that it may lead to the development of dangerous complications that require surgical intervention.For example, a bleeding ulcer perforation (through a defect in the wall of the stomach), malignancy of the ulcer.For gastric ulcer is characterized by not only the severity of epigastric, but frequent vomiting acidic content, epigastric pain at night, seasonal exacerbations - the appearance of symptoms in the autumn and spring seasons.
stenosis of the pylorus (pyloric stenosis) - a narrowing of the scar leaving the stomach due to ulcer or a tumor of his defeat.Manifested weight in the stomach, diffuse abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting stagnant content, in severe cases of food eaten several days before vomiting.This condition is dangerous narrowing full gatekeeper, resulting in even a small portion of the food can not pass into the intestines, and death can occur from exhaustion.
Duodenal Ulcer , as a rule, is the result of a stomach infection by the microorganism H. Pylori.In this disease, the severity of the stomach combined with a "hungry" pain in the umbilical region - intense or aching after 2 - 3 hours after a meal, disappearing immediately after a meal.This is the main characteristic feature of ulcers bulbs 12 - duodenal ulcer, but it may not be.
gastric cancer , unlike gastritis and ulcers, for a long period of time, sometimes many years, is not accompanied by pain.Patients are often concerned about the heaviness in the stomach, nausea, vomiting rare and unstable chair.At later stages there are pronounced pain and repeated vomiting.Suspected disease can be terrible if the heaviness in the stomach combined with fast unreasonable weight loss, severe weakness, fatigue, sudden pallor, loss of appetite, mild fever, anemia blood.This combination of symptoms is called a syndrome of small signs.
Chronic pancreatitis - is pathological processes in the pancreas due to alcoholism, errors in diet, gallstones, viral or traumatic injury of the prostate tissue, leading to the gland's inability to produce sufficient enzymes to digest food.Also heaviness in the stomach, manifested bloating, nausea, frequent vomiting, diffuse pain in the left upper quadrant, the umbilical region and in the back at the level of the lower ribs (girdle pain).The main symptom - "fat", light - yellow, mushy stools, poorly washed off the toilet because of the high content of undigested fat.
Chronic cholecystitis and cholelithiasis disease manifested by nausea, vomiting bile, yellowness of the skin and eyeballs, regurgitation with a bitter taste, a violation of stool, pain in the right upper quadrant.
Hepatitis and cirrhosis alcoholic or viral origin and can have an effect on the stomach, not only because of the increase in the liver, but also due to the fact that the liver cells produce bile components, lack or excess of which leads to disruption of digestion.Manifest dull pain in the right upper quadrant, jaundice, abnormal stools, with cirrhosis - dilated veins on the skin of the abdomen, and a significant increase in abdominal circumference due to accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity.
Gastroenteritis, or infection of the stomach and small intestine, has a distinct clinical presentation with nausea, repeated vomiting, loose stool and fever.Heaviness in the stomach and loss of appetite may persist for several days or weeks after recovery.
Symptomatic treatment of heaviness in the stomach
self-medicate is not necessary when a heaviness in the stomach.To begin patient should analyze your lifestyle and change the diet, if he eats properly.Even at the busiest work should always be time to have lunch homemade food prepared the day before and brought with them in a container.If this is not possible, at the present time there are enough institutions offering a hot meal with a varied menu.No need to get carried away snacks sandwiches or other food dry rations.
In addition, it is necessary to avoid frequent use of alcohol and carbonated beverages as well as smoking, especially on an empty stomach.You do not need to overeat at night, as the last meal should be at least 3 - 4 hours before bedtime.If
occupation patient associated with frequent stress and anxiety that can turn to a psychologist or a drink on prescription rate of sedation to avoid the negative impact of a consistently high level of adrenaline in the blood.Moreover, the exclusion of stress is helpful not only for the digestive system, but also for the heart and blood vessels.
If provoking situations are excluded, the doctor will prescribe drugs to treat symptomatic heaviness in the stomach.These drugs must be taken in the case of the presence - or disease with basic drugs (antibiotics for the treatment and omez ulcer, antiviral treatment for hepatitis, etc.).For symptomatic treatment include:
- antacids (Aluminium phosphate gel, almagel, Rennie, Maalox, Gaviscon, etc.) envelop the mucous membrane of the stomach, preventing the corrosive effects of hydrochloric acid, and instantly relieve heartburn and related heaviness in the stomach,
- enzymes(pancreatin, ermital, mikrazim, Creon, mezim, etc.) contribute to the digestion of food, playing substitutionary role in the deficit of its own pancreatic enzymes,
- proton pump inhibitors (omeprazole, pantoprazole, and others) and blockers of H - 2 histamine receptors (ranitidine, famotidineetc.) reduce the production of hydrochloric acid of the stomach cells,
- antispasmodics (Drotaverinum but - spa, papaverine, etc.) have a relaxing effect on the muscles of the pylorus, helping to get rid of the pain and feeling of heaviness,
- prokinetics (motilium) contribute to the promotion of food bolus,it is responsible for stimulating the muscles of the stomach and small intestine.
once to eating disorders, such as the celebration of - the events, and in this regard, with overeating and alcohol, can take an antacid and an enzyme preparation alone.But the frequent violation of the Food Drug abuse is not worth much more useful would be to review your lifestyle.
When to see a doctor?
Tighten with a visit to the doctor is not necessary if the heaviness in the stomach combined with these symptoms:
- persistent repeated vomiting,
- vomiting stagnant food,
- high temperature,
- loose stools, especially watery green or resembling rice water, as this may be a symptom of a dangerous infectious disease,
- dramatic weight loss, pallor, loss of appetite, severe fatigue,
- intense pain in the abdomen.
important - if the patient has identified and ruled out all possible causes of harmless, can cause heaviness in the stomach, and the discomfort still persists, immediately consult a doctor to get tested for the diagnosis of diseases, which may cause unpleasant symptoms.The doctor in this case, will decide on the need for prescribing.
To which the doctor ask for heaviness in the stomach?
Handle should your district physician at the place of residence or to the gastroenterologist.If heaviness in the stomach combined with other acute symptoms arising, you must call the emergency brigade.
What tests must pass with heaviness in the stomach?
doctor at the first interview and examination of the patient will make preliminary conclusions and make the necessary inspection plan.You may need to conduct such diagnostic methods like:
- CBC - estimated level of hemoglobin (at its reducing anemia), white blood cell count in suspected infectious nature of the disease and erythrocyte sedimentation rate (a significant increase may indicate a tumor in the stomach, but is not specific),
- biochemical blood tests - to assess the level of hepatic parameters (ALT, AST, bilirubin), increased in liver diseases, and alkaline phosphatase, increase in pancreatitis,
- a blood test for antibodies to H. pylori to evaluate whether the body responds to thesebacteria specific antibody, if present in the patient's stomach,
- urea breath test for Helicobacter pylori.The method consists in the following: the patient is asked to drink urea solution with labeled carbon atoms.If the bacteria are in the stomach, they will decompose urea into ammonia and carbon dioxide that is captured in exhaled air with special equipment.If the infection is not present, urea excreted by another.
- ultrasound of the abdomen - estimated the size and structure of the liver, the pancreas, the presence of gallstones, anatomical abnormalities of the gallbladder that can cause disorders of food digestion process,
- FEGDS (fibrogastroscopy) - a visual examination of the esophagus, stomach and the initial part 12- duodenal ulcer with an instrument fiberscope - a thin tube introduced through the esophagus with a tiny camera on the end.It allows you to evaluate the integrity of the gastric mucosa, to see if there are sores or signs of gastritis and assess the degree of cross-pyloric stenosis when.It is mandatory performed in cases of suspected gastro - intestinal bleeding, if there are no contraindications.unpleasant procedure, but tolerant, so give it up is not necessary, as this is the only diagnostic method to confirm or refute the diagnosis,
- X-ray of the stomach and intestines - is carried out by the patient after ingestion of barium suspension - radiopaque substance.It is necessary if it is impossible to conduct FEGDS.It allows you to define a "niche" or barium depot in gastric ulcer and 12 - duodenum, as well as filling defect in gastric cancer.
- abdominal MRI performed for suspected tumor of the stomach, pancreas, intestines or liver to clarify the localization and extent of sprouting in adjacent organs.
What specific survey methods will be needed in a particular case, the doctor decides on internal reception.
In conclusion, it should be noted that whatever the reasons for the constant of gravity in the stomach, you should promptly consult your doctor, so as not to delay the treatment of diseases of the stomach, if any.If such symptoms occur rarely, occasionally, a patient there is a clear connection between his appearance and overeating, addictions or stress, you should think about changing lifestyle.After all, the continuous presence of such adverse factors in a person's life, they not only cause discomfort but also can themselves lead to the development of gastritis, stomach ulcers or pancreatitis.
therapists Sazykina OJ