Dry Skin - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment .MF .
Dry skin (overdried, cracked, dryish, chapped, not sufficiently hydrated, the skin dry, wrinkled, wrinkled) - is a special type of skin, which is characterized by insufficient moisture, lack of natural fat grease).Symptoms of the disease are unpleasant sensations of dryness, pain, redness, peeling, itching.However, the symptoms are not as important as the influence that dry skin has on human health.
Skin protects the body from infection and its damage increases the risk of penetration through the skin of hazardous bacteria.Itching may interfere with proper rest, both day and night.This reduces the efficiency and resistance (resistance) to stress.
Causes of dry skin
protective surface layer is a complex system that adapts to the needs of the skin in the water, maintains water balance.Skin Moisture depends on internal factors (endogenous) and external (exogenous).
1. Lack of skin lipid barrier.Between
cells are epidermal lipids in the stratum corneum.They are essential for healthy skin
2. The lack of natural moisturizing factor.
moisturizing factor components include urea, lactic acid, salt and sugar.They help to retain moisture in the epidermis and upper parts of the stratum corneum.
3. Improper functioning of the excretory (secretory) function of the skin.
disrupted the proper functioning of the network of microscopic channels that transport moisture in different layers of the epidermis.
1. Frequent washing.
2. Wearing coarse clothes.
3. Improper care.
4. Side effects of drugs.
5. Chronic diseases.
6. Hypovitaminosis (A, C, E, PP, B)
symptom of dry skin is most often seen in a certain group of people:
- Elderly people are at increased risk of developing diseases associated with dry skin, due to age-related changes inbody.
- Infants and children often have dry skin, as immature skin produces less fat and has a thin stratum corneum.
- Cancer patients who have undergone radiation therapy (treatment of tumors with radiation radioktivnym).
- People engaged in certain occupations associated with strong ventilation, low humidity, low temperatures, prolonged contact with water, soap, detergents, solvents, -this from frequent washing and disinfecting solution processing hand.
Diseases for which there may be a symptom of dry skin
Dry skin can be a symptom of a variety of diseases:
- Hypothyroidism - a lack of thyroid hormone.A frequent complaint of patients with this disease is the dryness of the skin, especially on the elbows.
- liver disease primarily inflammatory.One of the symptoms can be dryness and thinning of the skin.
- Sarcoidosis - systemic disease affecting the lung tissues and other internal organs, characterized by inflammatory reactions on the skin.
- syndrome immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) - a violation of the human immune system, as a consequence of damage to the cells by the virus.In this case violated the protective layer of the skin and dryness appears.
- Eczema - inflammatory dermatosis characterized by rash and pruritus.
- Ichthyosis - hereditary skin disease in which coarsen the upper layers of the skin.
- Psoriasis - not chronic infectious disease that occurs on the type of dermatosis.The skin is covered with red spots, and they are, in consequence, are beginning to peel off.
- Contact dermatitis - inflammatory skin reaction that occurs in contact with an allergen (detergent, disinfectant).
Dryness of the skin as a side effect of certain drugs:
- lowers cholesterol.
- retinoids (for acne), they can also cause dry skin.
- diuretics (diuretics)
When to see a doctor
Medical help is needed in cases where the skin is painful, crusted, develop pustules (small blisters with pus).Infection with dry skin is a rare complication and requires immediate treatment to the doctor (dermatologist, kozhvenerologu, beautician).
The disease is usually diagnosed based on signs and symptoms identified in the survey by a dermatologist.It is important to distinguish the sign of dry skin symptoms of a more serious disease.Surveys include skin allergy tests, taking a tissue sample for analysis, the standard blood and urine tests, specialized tests to determine thyroid function.
Severe cases of skin diseases associated with dry, require regular visits to the doctor and strict monitoring of treatment, the only way to avoid other complications of the disease.
Treating dry skin
moisturizing cosmetics for dry skin contains most of, the following combination of ingredients: petrolatum, and paraffin wax (beeswax), oil (lanolin, silicone, vegetable oils and animal fats), exfoliating the component to (alpha-hydroxy acid, lactic acid, salicylic acid,and urea).Efficiency and texture moisturizer depends on its composition and is based on the ratio of water and fat.Oil cream create a barrier that seals off and protects against loss of natural moisture evaporation blocking body.It can be used for cosmetic ointments, creams, lotions.
- Ointments , tend to have a heavy, oily texture and can leave greasy marks on the skin.They are preferable to use in the winter or for those parts of the body where the skin is more dry (elbows, heels and knees).
- creams contain the same amount of oil and water.They are usually distributed evenly and do not leave traces.They can be used for overall body hydration and face at any time of the year.
- Lotions have a high water content.Their structure is very light, so the short-term moisturizing effect.
Phytotherapy for outdoor use in dry skin
- Jojoba : quickly absorbed into the skin because of the small molecules are very similar in chemical structure to the natural skin fat.It has the ability to renew the lipid barrier of the skin, gives the effect of the coating.Its effect is especially useful in case of irritation, skin cracks, sunburn.
- Borage oil : rich in fatty acids (omega, linolenic).They are similar to sebum, well removed irritation, improves the protective properties of the skin.
- Oil Hypericum : obtained by macerating fresh blossoms in a vegetable oil (olive oil or sunflower oil) under the influence of sunlight.Are allocated flavonoids, which have antioxidant and soothing properties.
- Althaea officinalis : root is used in herbal medicine.Well moisturizes, it is added to a cream for dry and flaky skin.
- Aloe Vera : use the gel from the leaves, which is a gelatinous substance.It forms a protective film when applied to skin tissue.The product is rich in polysaccharides that are involved in the process of regeneration and restoration of the integrity and functionality of the skin.
- Linseed oil : rich in nutrients, contains omega-6 fatty acid, has moisturizing properties, smoothes and nourishes the skin.
- Coconut oil : nourish and moisturize the skin.
Herbal mask for dry skin
When choosing a mask is necessary to make sure that it contains substances that penetrate deep into the skin, as dry skin is not enough only to surface wetting (creams, ointments, oils).Examples of self-made masks, designed for dry skin:
Face mask with strawberries and raspberries .Chop three large strawberries and a few raspberries, add 1 teaspoon of fresh cream, apply on face and neck and wash off after 15 minutes.
Face mask with avocado .Half of the fruit with a fork to crush mixed with egg yolk and a few drops of lemon juice.Apply on face and neck and hold for 20 minutes.Rinse with warm water.Avocado has a protective effect on the skin due to its high content of essential fatty acids.
Grape Mask .Ten grape mash with a fork.Juicy pulp to cover your face and neck.After 15 minutes, remove mask and wipe the skin tonic.
Pear mask .Grind one flesh pears, add a spoonful of honey and 1 tablespoon of milk.For very dry skin, add to the mix another 2 tablespoons of olive oil and egg yolk.After 20 minutes, rinse with warm water.
Face mask with kiwi .1 tablespoon kiwi juice and mix with 1 tablespoon of fresh cheese.Apply on face and rinse with warm water after 20 minutes.
Face Mask with tangerines or oranges .Stir in 1 tablespoon tangerine juice with 1 raw egg yolk.Apply to face and neck for 20 minutes.Rinse with warm water.
Potato mask .Pre-boiled potato mash with a fork and mix with a spoon of olive oil.Apply to skin wash and after 20 minutes of warm water.
Mask from the leaves of lettuce .Finely chop the lettuce and mix with the wheat germ oil, add 0.5 teaspoon of baby powder.Apply on face for 20 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
Carrot mask .The fresh squeezed carrot juice add one egg yolk and a few drops of olive oil.Apply to face and wash off after 20 minutes.
Mask of oat flakes .Take 1 tablespoon of ground oatmeal, chamomile and sage, add 1 teaspoon of honey and a few drops of olive oil, mix the resulting mass of boiling water to a thick paste.Apply to face and neck for 20 minutes.After removing the mask, the skin, rinse with cold water.
Cheese mask .2 teaspoons of cream cheese mixed with 3 teaspoons of cream, add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.Apply on face for 10 minutes.Rinse with warm water.
vitamins needed dry skin.
for regeneration and skin hydration is imperative daily intake (from food or as supplements) in the body of the following substances:
- vitamin A,
- vitamins B, C, E and D,
- minerals (zinc, iron,copper and selenium)
- essential amino acids.
Disease Prevention dry skin
To avoid unpleasant symptoms of dry skin, you should start with a good care of it.Here are some simple rules:
- need to regularly apply a moisturizer,
- cream is best applied to damp skin,
- important quality used cosmetics, preferably without perfumes and alcohol,
- cream should be thick and zhirnovat (consistency of sour cream),
- are less time in the shower or in the bathroom,
- wash no hot water, and a warm,
- moistens the air in the room (with the help of a humidifier, or on their own, putting a bowl of water near the battery or air conditioner),
- use a mild liquid soap(PH neutral),
- not rubbing the skin towel.
- Eat right.Food should be rich in vitamins, proteins and fats.
- Drink plenty of water (up to 6 cups per day), especially in the hottest period of the year and during intense exercise.
doctor cosmetologist Kondratenko NA