Bouts of overeating , insatiable hunger - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment .MF .
bouts of overeating and an insatiable hunger summarized one concept - bulimia.This uncontrolled need to obtain a large, sometimes enormous, the amount of food in a short time.
single dose sometimes in calories and volume several times greater than the daily need for food.Physiological desires or challenge by the patient vomiting after eating there several times a day.Nevertheless, physicians should be considered bulimia much more broadly.
Food and all the problems associated with this kind of a distraction, masking emotional problems, hidden deep in the subconscious.In addition, the disease has a significant impact on human lkruzhenie, relatives duzey patient.Looping patient at the thought of eating leads to the fact that it becomes difficult to communicate with others, changing interests and plans for the future, can not be realized ambitions, dreams are not carried out, the patient is closed in the walls of your own captivity.
When gluttony can be considered a pathology
It is important to disting
About presence of mental disorders can be suspected discover some specific symptoms that characterize it bulimia.Simtomy - specific signs or complaints of the patient, which describe the disease.When several of these features can be combined in their syndrome and related to an either disease.So in the case of bulimia symptoms are:
- lack of control over eating - the inability to stop eating, to physical discomfort and pain.
- Eating unusually large amounts of food with no apparent weight changes.
- The disappearance and theft of food caches formation sick of junk food.
- Alternation of overeating and fasting - "all or nothing" when it comes to food.
- patient disappears after eating and attempting to induce vomiting and do an enema.
- The smell of vomit in the bathroom or toilet.
- Excessive exercise, especially after eating.
- Micro-cracks or scars in the throat of the provocation of vomiting.
- "Burunduchi" cheeks, due to swelling after vomiting.
- discolored or yellow teeth from stomach acid exposure.
- frequent weight fluctuations of up to five kilograms.
All attacks bulimia indicate the patient's feelings and are a way of getting rid of negative emotions.At this point, you can trace the similarity with addiction, such as drug addiction.In the early stages of drug use brings a positive effect.As in the case of drug addiction, bulimia can be accompanied by reckless behavior occurs even petty crimes (theft of food or medicines).Patients often deny they have a problem, hiding their behavior, trying to deceive others.
problems suffering from bulimia often complicated by other.Conflicts within the family because of the sick eating large quantities of food, social isolation.
Causes attacks gluttony
Scientists believe that overeating - it's panic, compulsive (uncontrolled) overeating, the causes of which lie in the combination of genes with negative emotions.Studies of brain structures have shown that the basis of the formation of the disease is dysfunction (dysfunction) of the brain responsible for appetite.In addition, the development of bulimia affect genetic predisposition to addiction, education (if the family meal has been used as a means to alleviate the stress).
When there are other factors that affect the disease, the disorder is referred to the "neutonchennym".It:
- Ugly proportions of the body, distant from the physical ideal.
- Low self-esteem.
- Mental injury or illness in the past.
- Lack of a life partner or regular sexual partner.
- Significant changes in life.
- The period of puberty.
- public profession or activity.
Risk Factors appearance bulimia
revealed six factors that influence the development of eating disorders, the most important are four of them:
Cchitaetsya that the disease may be inherited (factor associated with a distorted view of models and standards related to food).Tests conducted on twins indicate that both subjects there is a predisposition to bulimia and is connected with the 10th chromosome.
bulimia greatly affects the hormonal balance in the body, so the formation of the disease is extremely difficult to determine the true prior to disease, endocrine disorders.It is impossible to know whether the low levels of hormones cause of the disease or its consequences.However, studies have shown that endocrine causes of bulimia nervosa should be considered:
- chronically elevated levels of stress hormones (hormones glucocorticoids group is responsible for the regulation of carbohydrate metabolism);
- dysfunction of neurotransmitters (nerve impulse transmitter): serotonin (mood, anxiety, appetite), norepinephrine (stress) and dopamine (pooschritelya);
- abnormal levels of the hormone responsible for feelings of hunger and metabolism.
personality traits and emotional problems make a significant contribution to the development of bulimia.Such as low self-esteem, feelings of hopelessness, panic fear of gaining weight, uncontrolled behavior, emotional instability.
Many features of the human psyche - the result of years of exposure to the environment.It is difficult to understand what affects the development of the disease longer, cultural or psychological factors.
Examples of psychological influence:
According to studies, 40% weight loss in girls aged 9-10 years was due to the insistence of the parents and the mother too emotional on this issue;
disease appears less frequently in families where there is a tradition and routine and often, where relatives rarely dine together at one table;
Among the victims of bulimia is 35% higher.
Thinness in the world today is considered an indicator of the success and value of the person.Colorful magazines, television programs and shows Beauty promote undernourished.Formed stereotype that beautiful only slim people.Sports, work and creative activity are forced to watch their weight, keep in shape and appearance.Therefore, the risk of developing bulimia is highest among the actors, TV personalities, athletes and dancers.
diseases that can cause bouts of overeating
Depression - mood disorder may be a precursor to bulimia.
Obsessive-compulsive disorder - personality disorder in which uncontrolled actions are possible, for example, such as overeating.
Schizophrenia - there is one form, when patients are dissatisfied with their body proportions or believe that eating them harm.Characterized by delusions of judgment and rejection of food-induced vomiting.
Obesity - a chronic disease characterized by high body mass.In order to lose weight, patients may resort to such methods, as a challenge to vomiting or taking special drugs for weight loss.The disease can peretransformirovatsya in bulimia.
diabetes - develops as a consequence of a lack of the hormone insulin.Patients are on life-long maintenance treatment of special preparation.Artificial insulin causes severe hunger in patients may experience bouts of binge eating, growing fat tissue.
injury and hematoma (bleeding) of the brain in the past lead to disruption of brain activity.In consequence may develop an organic personality disorder, where the patient's behavior is not quite adequate.There are overeating or chronic vomiting.
dependence on psychoactive substances (alcohol, drugs) - when encoding or prolonged abstinence from these substances, the disease may progress to dependence on bulimia.
thyroid disorders: Hypothyroidism - greatly increased appetite, impaired synthesis of male and female sex hormones, patients constantly feel cold.Hyperthyroidism - impaired function of hormone synthesis, patients develop mental impairment and they are unable to control their actions to the fullest.Affects the nervous system and pischevaritelnyya, slowed down all metabolic processes, the patient may gain weight.
Stroke - cerebrovascular krovoobschascheniya, which leads to the dysfunction (disorder), cerebral and nervous activity.In the following deviations in norms eating.
Facts and myths about bulimia.
There are many myths and false beliefs about bulimia.Introducing the most popular ones.
Myth number 1 - "If there is vomiting, I have not bulimia."
vomiting - the most common symptom, but there are others that indicate disease.
Myth number 2 - Regular vomiting after every meal.
person suffering from bulimia may eat normally and do not always induce vomiting.
Myth number 3 - From bulimia suffer only teen girls.
There are data that suggest that 1-3% of males susceptible to this disease.Currently, there is a tendency to increase the age of falling ill.
Myth number 4 - A person suffering from bulimia, thick.
Most people suffering from bulimia have a weight in the normal range.
Myth number 5 - from bulimia does not die.Physical effects
bulimia include electrolyte imbalances (which causes problems with the heart - the heart muscle weakness and lead to myocardial infarction) damage in the digestive system (including stomach or esophageal rupture).Such cases can be fatal.The disease is sometimes associated with depression, which can cause suicide attempts.
Myth number 6 - "Vomiting only need to lose weight, everything is under control."
Bulimia is not a diet, this eating disorder.Causes of bulimia often have little to do with losing weight.Vomiting may be seen as an attempt to cope with stress.
Myth number 7 - The best way to treat bulimia - the cessation of vomiting.
When a person is dependent on the disease, will not work "simply" quit, forbidding myself vomiting, the disease takes a different form.
diagnosis of bulimia
What would expose the diagnosis of bulimia, the doctor must be:
1. To collect anamnesis (medical information), the patient's life.
2. history of the disease in the past.
3. Find 3 or more of the symptoms (see above), which characterize the disease
4. Go public examination to exclude other disorders that can affect the development of bulimia.(CT, MRI, Echo -EG, CMO for sugar, biochemical AK, AK overall analysis on sex hormones and thyroid)
• AK-blood test
• MRI MRI
• -Computer CT scanner.
5. Talk with relatives and friends in order to obtain more information about the patient, as well as in case the patient concealing his disease.
6. Using the ICD-10 for diagnosis (International Classification of Diseases revision 10)
In what cases and to what doctor to address during an episode of binge eating
Mala likelihood that a patient with bulimia independently consult a doctor.This is only possible when suffering from an eating disorder will disturb other somatic (bodily) disorders.
1. Treatment of resuscitation occurs in conditions of intensive care unit patients and delivered, as a rule, a team of emergency medical services.Patients hospitalized with loss of consciousness of unknown origin, pain in the heart, dehydration, fainting, reduced pressure.Violation is considered a "sharp" and assistance is provided urgently.In a hospital intensive care unit make up the volume lost fluids and minerals in the body by infusion (drip) therapy, then after the stabilization of the patient is moved to another section in the profile.
2. Treatment by a physician, in a therapeutic department, when the effects of the disease less severe.Sometimes the patient is transferred to the intensive care unit of the therapy in consultation of doctors.
3. Consultation with the surgeon abdominal pain, stool and vomit mixed with blood.These symptoms indicate an injury or tearing of internal organs, bleeding hemorrhoids.You may need surgery.
4. Appeal to the audiologist if the patient nasopharyngeal infection, enlarged cervical lymph nodes.
5. Treatment endocrinologist at hormonal and endocrine disorders.
6. When carious lesions, tooth enamel weakness, bleeding gums, producing sanitation (treatment) of the mouth at the dentist.
7. Refer to a psychiatrist for consultations, the appointment of medical treatment or placement in a hospital psychiatric hospital.Treatment in a special institution (psychiatric hospital) is planned and the patient's consent.Compulsory treatment can be only by court order.
If necessary, the patient is examined before admission of other experts.
For admission to the clinic you should have tests: complete blood count, urinalysis, the inquiry about absence of infectious disease and contact with the infected patients;depending on the host institution, analysis of HIV and hepatitis, blood sugar, blood chemistry desirable.
In less severe cases of bulimia may outpatient treatment.To do this, refer to the district psychiatrist at the place of residence or to a paid consultation in any of the clinics.
8. To turn Narcologist c to detect the presence of associated dependency (alcoholism, drug addiction, etc.), As well as to clarify that the degree of dependence on bulimia.
9. Consultation of the neurologist, with the need to pass such examinations as CT and MRI.Which can eliminate abnormal brain structures that affect the progression of the disease.
10. Treatment at the psychotherapist in order to identify the causes of disease lurking in the subconscious mind of the patient, as well the possibility of adjusting or reducing doses of psychiatric drugs.
11. A dietitian or valeologist advise how to eat, talk about a healthy lifestyle.
Read more about the symptoms and treatment of bulimia & gt; & gt;
Psychiatrist Kondratenko NA