Dissociative amnesia - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment .MF .
Dissociative amnesia - is memory loss, which is not associated with any other disease.It starts suddenly, after a traumatic event (dramatic periods, events, or even in childhood), more severe conventional forgetfulness.Dissociative amnesia - is a way to escape from reality.The patient loses communication and continuity between the thoughts, memories and others, and his actions.
reasons for dissociative amnesia
emergence of dissociative amnesia - a way to cope with the psychological trauma.Breakdown originates from childhood.As a child, the child is more developed imagination, and in times of stress it is easier to step back from the situation.If stress affects long period of time, the child protection mechanisms are fixed and are reborn into an adult disease - dissociative disorder.According to statistics, more likely to develop amnesia by those who have experienced sexual or emotional abuse in the past.Sometimes sick children exposed to long-term physical punishment by parents or teachers.
In adults, the disease is caused usually by stress, obtained in a war zone or disaster.
symptoms of dissociative amnesia
Symptoms usually develop as a reaction to a traumatic event.Stress state may temporarily exacerbate symptoms, making them even more apparent.Dissociative disorders cause problems with the functioning of the human in the conditions of daily life.Common features for all types of dissociative amnesia include the following points:
- Loss of memory (amnesia) of certain time periods, events.
- There are problems with the recognition of familiar people and relatives.
- Episode amnesia can last for minutes, hours, or less, per month.
- Sometimes amnesia complicated by other mental health problems, including depression and anxiety sostoyaniyaniyami and thoughts of suicide.
- Often patients can not recognize themselves.
- Strange and unreal seem to surrounding people and things.
- The patient does not feel like an individual.
- There are problems at work or in other important areas of life of the patient.
- Suicide attempts and self-injury.
- Sexual dysfunction, including sexual addiction.
- Alcoholism and substance abuse.
- Depression, sleep disorders (insomnia and sleepwalking).
- Anxiety disorders and eating disorders.
- Severe headache.
diagnosis of dissociative amnesia
Doctors diagnose dissociative disorders by analyzing the personal history of the patient and the presence of three or more symptoms (see above).The studies, which reveal a head injury, brain disorder, sleep disturbance or intoxication.Deleted everything that can cause similar symptoms and affect the development of the disease.If no physical causes, the diagnosis is engaged in a narrow specialist in this field, such as a psychiatrist.
psychiatrist conducts more in-depth interview on issues related to mental health only.Sometimes used sedation and hypnosis.This can help the doctor determine the nature of harmful memories that have played an important role in the development of amnesia.
As a physician learns dissociative amnesia:
1. Evaluation of the patient's mental state.The patient should be oriented in space, time and space.Thinking a little slow.Difficult to play in the memory of the events of the past.Forgot current events for the patient is not too difficult.
2. detect the presence of specific symptoms suggestive of a mental disorder: the patient does not seek to openness, but rather tries to mask the real cause of his amnesia disease.
3. Patients may think but do not express thoughts about suicide, so be more vigilant in this respect.
4. There are a group of people more exposed to the risk of disease.Dissociative amnesia is most common among war veterans, survivors of concentration camps and disasters.Also among the early orphaned children or ill-treated.The likelihood of developing the disease depends on the degree of resulting injury psihichesskoy.
5. Dissociative amnesia is different from other types of amnesia.The occurrence of the disease has a sudden onset than other types of memory loss.
treatment of dissociative amnesia
Although no drugs that are specifically used for the treatment of dissociative amnesia, your doctor may prescribe:
- antidepressants: azafen, amitriptyline, sirestill, tsipraleks, velaksin, Despres, imipramine.
- antipsychotic medicines: haloperidol, droperidol, azaleprol, azaleptin, chlorpromazine, invega, klopiksol, paliperidone, olanzapine.
- nootropics or preparations improving brain blood circulation and vitamins: piracetam, etiratsetam, aniracetam, oxiracetam, pramiracetam, dupratsetam, rolziratsetam deanol atseglumat, meclofenoxate, deanol atseglumat, Pyritinol, glycine, Biotredin, idebenone, meclofenoxate, gamma-aminobutyric acid (Aminalon)nicotinoyl-GABA (Pikamilon) gamma-amino-beta-phenylbutyric acid hydrochloride (Phenibut) hopantenic acid, Pantogamum calcium gamma-hydroxybutyrate (Neyrobutal).
This will help control the symptoms of amnesia related to dissociative disorder.
Valerian root - relieve tension and solve the difficulty falling asleep.
herb lemongrass is used for excessive nervous excitability, providing easy
sedation, it helps in states of tension and anxiety.
hop cones - pronounced relaxing effect.
Motherwort - has beneficial effects on cardiac function, restores the heart rhythm.
Ginseng - improves concentration and memory ((increases the synthesis of neurotransmitters (conductors) in the brain)), add vitality, increases resistance to stress and immunity, exhibits antioxidant properties.
St. John's Wort - soderdit flavonoids, quercetin and rutin, vitamins A and C. It is recommended for mild memory impairment and depression, as well for insomnia and migraine.
Psychotherapy dissociative amnesia
Psychotherapy is the main direction for the treatment of dissociative amnesia.The therapist will help you understand the cause of the condition and form in a patient new ways of dealing with stressful circumstances.Only after the time the patient is able to return to the memories psihotravmatichesskim circumstances, freely discussing the incident.Later will actively develop the skills to deal with stress, the patient will feel improvement in memory and return.
methods used in psychotherapy of dissociative amnesia:
- hypnosis can help restore memory to reveal traumatic events affecting the development of amnesia.It is a long and laborious work, but this approach is most effective in treatment.Hypnosis creates a state of deep relaxation and calms the mind.Status of hypnosis allows better focus on a specific thought, memory, emotions, memories are not blocked.
- creative art therapy - the patient is included in the creative process.This helps people who have difficulty expressing their thoughts and feelings.Art helps to know themselves, to cope with the symptoms of the traumatic experience and to promote positive change.Creative art therapy includes art, dance and movement, theater, music and poetry.
- cognitive therapy - a conversational type of therapy that helps identify negative beliefs and behaviors and replace them with healthy and positive.The method is based on the idea that your own thoughts control you, not vice versa.Even if the situation can not change, you can change in a positive way of thinking and behavior of the form.
Prevention dissociative amnesia
Prevention plays an important role in preventing the occurrence of the disease, as the majority of dissociative disorders "from childhood."
- If stress or other circumstances affect the child, an urgent need to seek specialized care.
- Children suffering physically and emotionally, are more at risk of developing mental disorders and dissociative amnesia.
- If a child is being abused or experienced a traumatic event, see a doctor immediately.The doctor will help the child overcome the skills to properly form and painless to survive this situation.
- Review to do with your child, try not to hurt his psyche.
- not tighten with reference to a therapist, if in your life there are stressful situations that can cause mental disorder.
- Talk to people you trust (a friend, your doctor or a minister of your religious community).please contact the support group if necessary.
- Read literature about children, it will help you learn more about proper parenting style.
Psychiatrist Kondratenko NA