Sleepwalking and snogovorenie ( sleepwalking , somnambulism ) - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment .MF .
Perhaps sleepwalking - this is one of the most interesting topics in somnology that causes the most problems:
• sleepwalking and snogovorenie (sleepwalking) - what is it really?
• Is it connected with any disease?
• whether the person is located at that time in the mind?
• Is Sleepwalking Harmful to health, and what it can say?
itself, the concept of "sleepwalking" means the same as "sleepwalking", "snogovorenie," "Sleepwalking" - a disorder of sleep disorders by type of awakening, which is more common in children and is accompanied by the implementation of the automatic actions during sleep.At the same time in the morning "lunatics," as they like to call it, can not remember happening.
itself a state of sleepwalking is rare, only 2-3% of the world's population.Most often this phenomenon is observed in children from 6 to 16 years, from the age group of about one in six children (15%) at least once in their lives experienced snogovorenie or sleepwalking.
Possible causes of sleepwalking
explained by sleepwalking and snogovorenie simple.Normally during sleep the muscles are relaxed, we rest.Upon awakening the brain starts to send impulses to the muscles, and they become active.Sleepwalking occurs when the muscles "wake up" before the brain.That is, people still asleep, maybe even dreams to see, but it is able to move his hands and feet, open your eyes.This often scares.
reasons for this in children may be a few things:
• Heredity.Sleepwalking is often inherited, with associated family history of sleepwalking.
• Nervous tension due to the experiences of conflict in the family or a very intense training program.
• Fever during illness.
• Migraine (specific headaches).
• Epilepsy is sometimes shown for the first time it is somnambulism.
In adults, sleepwalking is much rarer, and usually is associated with various diseases, that is, is secondary.Thus sleep is disturbed by internal processes in the body.
Among the most frequent causes of observed:
• Lack of sleep.
• circadian sleep disorders (such as jet lag after the flight).
• brain tumors.
• Vascular lesions of the brain (eg aneurysm artery).
• Diseases of the heart, such as arrhythmias.
• Obstructive sleep apnea.
• Diabetes (described isolated cases of sleepwalking in the night drop sugar levels in type 1 diabetes).
• Diseases of the nervous system.
• Acceptance of toxic substances, such as drugs, alcohol.
• Side effects of drugs, especially sedatives, some sleeping pills.
Symptoms of sleepwalking
most common actions that can occur when sleepwalking, it is walking, standing up, sitting on the bed, uttering words or sounds, answers the phone, sweeping hand movements, kicks.Their distinguishing feature is that they have long since memorized, stereotyped and often are repeated every day.
sleepwalking may begin with getting up, standing beside the bed, then a person can go and do something out of habit, for example, turn on the light.Run and walk long distances often.Even more rarely manage to make a complex action on the type of driving.Sleepwalkers may demonstrate sexual behavior, especially when sleeping with a partner.Such cases are often the reason for the funny stories, films and works of art.
Snogovorenie can be of two types, when lunatic progovorivaet clear words, sometimes connected phrase, and when he utters inarticulate sounds more like the lowing or moaning.Often there are also cries.Snogovorenie may be associated with sleepwalking.
for human-lunatic all the action during the attack will seem deliberate, quite understandable and logical.They will report to the reality that exists for a sleepwalker in a dream.However, as in any sleep events can unfold differently than in reality.And here we can see that in fact a person is sleeping, not talking to you or doing something unconsciously.
sleepwalking episodes Observers note that the answers to the questions and requests at a certain point may not be available or be slow and out of place, may be disturbed by the sequence of actions appear unmotivated aggression.Most afraid of others, and at the same time give a sleepwalker, open "glass" eyes.It is a characteristic feature of somnambulism.
diagnosis of sleepwalking sleepwalking
Diagnostics performed a sleep, a neurologist or general practitioner.It is based on a conversation with the doctor and his lunatic relatives or witnessed attacks or snogovoreniya sleepwalking.
questions that should clarify to the consultation, the doctor can get a complete picture of the situation:
• A detailed description of the sleepwalking episode.
• The level of awareness before, during and after the sleepwalking episode.
• Time of occurrence of episodes.
• Availability of daytime sleepiness.
• Remembering the events.
• A family history of sleepwalking.
• Precipitating factors.
diagnosis of sleepwalking does not require passage of polysomnography unlike wake disturbances during REM sleep, however, to determine the causes of this condition may require further examination:
• Electroencephalography (EEG) from the stress tests to rule out epilepsy.
• EEG monitoring - long-term monitoring of the activity of the brain.
• Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or computed tomography (CT) scan of the head to exclude brain lesions.
For diagnosis of sleepwalking is necessary to match the diagnostic criteria of somnambulism.
Diagnostic criteria sleepwalking.International classification of sleep disorders in 2013.
1. standing, occurs during sleep.
2. Saving sleep, altered state of consciousness or dizziness when standing up are supported by at least one of the following:
i.It is difficult to wake the patient.
ii.Confusion thoughts after the final awakening.
iii.Amnesia events (complete or partial).
iv.Normal behavior occurs at the wrong time.
v.Inappropriate or ridiculous behavior during the episode.
vi.Dangerous or potentially dangerous behavior during sleepwalking.
3. Status can not be explained by other sleep disorders, somatic or neurological diseases, mental disorders, taking drugs or other substances.
Treatment of sleepwalking
In olden sleepwalking carefully concealed and treated folk remedies (there is mention of the use of borage), however, without success.
In Soviet times, and in our times too, first thought of the child's parents, a lunatic or an adult, to learn about his somnambulism, was - to find a good psychiatrist, psychotherapist or psychologist.Someone spoke to a neurologist, which is also understandable and explainable.Once administered sedatives, hypnotics, sedatives, tranquilizers, sometimes (not to run away) and even neuroleptic drugs.Several doctors were limited to physiotherapy or injections with nootropics, and vitamins.As a result, a dream even more disturbed, or lunatic walked all day "in a fog" and I could not really do anything.it is not necessary to treat somnambulist:
Today, the official position of the treatment is sleepwalking.Inspect - yes, treat - no.
Features lifestyle while sleepwalking
What to do if you or your child's sleepwalking?The main principle - is to ensure the safety of "lunatic."It is important to have a sleeping, which can get up and walk around at night, it was not possible to go outside or on the balcony.For this reason, it should close the doors and windows, and on, on the key features.This is due to the fact that somnambulists can open them, as well as during the day, especially if it was done before many times.
is also important that there was no possibility of injury from the sharp edges of furniture lying objects (eg a comb), glasses and mirrors, which can be broken when natykanii them.It is best to remove the excess and leave the bedroom only that moves with great difficulty.To smooth the sharp edges created special silicone or plastic plates that are mounted on the furniture.
Possible complications sleepwalking
itself sleepwalking is not dangerous and does not cause any disease.The only serious complication can be considered an injury, which can occur during sleepwalking attack and harm to others.
very rare, but still possible, somnambulist show aggression.Described are even cases of injury.This may be due either to the original excitation lunatic during the episode (eg, frightening dreams background character), or attempts to prevent lunatic, argue with him or answer his aggression.No need to persuade a lunatic, it is important to adjust to it and send to the bed, and then he fell asleep.
To avoid complications, you just need time to determine the cause and to ensure proper prevention of injuries.
Prevention sleepwalking sleepwalking
Since it is not necessary to treat it in the first place out measures to prevent sleepwalking.First of all - this is a dream and hygiene conditions for sleep.This could include the following points:
• Before going to bed, for 2-3 hours before bedtime, you have to tune in to sleep.
• It is useful to take a walk and to switch from the events of the past day.Excessive play sports is not necessary, it just cheer.It is better to postpone serious workout in the morning.
• Refuse to watch TV, movies, work on computers and gadgets.Especially avoid flashing objects on the screen and the white glare.
• load, also should not drink alcohol before going to sleep.This impairs sleep and can cause sleepwalking.
• House also better to dim the lights.This will improve the quality of drowsiness and sleep and sleep.
• Carefully read the instructions to the drugs you are taking.Some of them may themselves cause sleepwalking.Most often, this medication affecting the nervous system.
• Timely diagnosis of possible causes of sleepwalking can help avoid a repeat of sleepwalking episodes in the future.
Elena Tsareva, a sleep physician,