Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Causes, Symptoms and Treatment .MF .
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - a bowel disease which is manifested by pain in the stomach in conjunction with the violation of normal bowel function.About 20% of the population suffers from this disease.The syndrome is most common in the age group 30-40 years.But, unfortunately, more than half of the cases do not seek medical attention, believing symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome sign of malnutrition or individual physiological features.
Causes of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
It is now believed that the main cause of disease is stress.Overvoltage negative emotions, especially if they are experienced in, lead to overexcitation of the nervous system.The internal shell of bowel becomes very sensitive to various influences.Therefore, even a minor error in the usual diet or the use of "new" products, in terms of mental and emotional surge can cause IBS.When the activity of the nervous system is disturbed intestinal motility which explains the occurrence of diarrhea and constipation in this disease, and i
Possible symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome
In 1990, some signs of the disease were identified in Rome, the detection of which the diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome can be considered the most reliable.So, irritable bowel syndrome is likely if, for at least 12 weeks a year (not necessarily consecutive) you suffer from:
• pain or discomfort in the abdomen. Many patients notice a different character of pain: aching, pulling, pinching, cramping, cutting.Pain and vary in intensity from light to barely noticeable to intolerable.They appear in different areas of the abdomen, often in several places at once.A feature of the pain syndrome is the absence of any sensation at night, but after waking up pain can appear at once.Typically, abdominal pain occurs after meals, especially abundant, and decreases or disappears completely after a bowel movement (bowel movement through the anus).In severe pain are diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome with predominance of pain.
• Bloating. Typically, bloating increases during the day, reaching a maximum in the evening, or there is worse after eating.Usually disappears after defecation.
• Violation of the chair. Depending on the nature of the violation of the chair stands Syndrome Irritable kishechnikas prevalence of diarrhea, constipation, or mixed version.
When diarrhea stools, usually occurs in the morning hours, often after a meal.Stool frequency is 5-6 times per day.Fecal thin, watery.Often sharp and painful urge to defecate arise at the time of psycho-emotional surge (exam, important meeting), or in places where the bowel movement is not possible (in the metro, in the cinema).Therefore, the patient knowingly refuses to cultural activities, long trips, which significantly reduces the quality of life.Such desires never occur at night, what distinguishes irritable bowel syndrome from other diseases.After defecation remains a feeling of incomplete emptying of the bowel.
Constipation called rare (less than 3 times per week) bowel movements.With constipation stools it consists of small dense clumps, or is "plug-like" when the first portion of hard stool, separated with difficulty, further has a normal consistency.For defecation takes a long, often painful straining.In the stool as constipation and diarrhea, often found mucus.
diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome
Irritable Bowel Syndrome refers to the so-called functional diseases.This means that the substrate of the disease can not be diagnosed, and the diagnosis is based on clinical manifestations.But often, the above symptoms arise in other more serious diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.Therefore, to conduct a full comprehensive examination is relevant.
When abdominal pain, flatulence and stool disorders is recommended to address to the gastroenterologist.Rather, the following diagnostic tests to be appointed:
• CBC. Allows detect anemia as a manifestation of latent bleeding and increase white blood cell count, which indicates the presence of inflammation.
• Biochemical analysis of blood. For example, increasing the concentration of amylase indicates inflammation of the pancreas, pancreatitis, which explains the diarrhea.
• analysis of fecal occult blood test will help determine do not even see eye bleeding, and increased loss of fat in the feces indicates the presence of pancreatitis.
• scatological and feces mikroskomicheskoe study will identify the underlying disease, including infectious process.
• ultrasound of the abdomen is the gold standard for the detection of pancreatitis, cholecystitis, visceral neoplasms.
• Colonoscopy - instrumental bowel investigation.It helps in the diagnosis of inflammatory diseases, congenital malformations, tumors, diverticula (bulging of the shell) of the intestine.
In the absence of abnormalities exhibited diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome.
treatment of irritable bowel syndrome
Features of diet and lifestyle in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome
correction power plays an important role in the treatment of disease.A feature of irritable bowel syndrome is the fact that different patients symptoms can cause a variety of products.Therefore, it is advisable to keep a food diary, which indicate the product and the reaction of the body after use.This will reveal the product provocateur and exclude it from the diet as much as possible.
The food should prevail foods containing dietary fiber.Preference is given to a variety of cereals (buckwheat, oats, rice).If necessary, further recommended to use biologically active additives to food fibers.Eating should be 5-6 times a day in small portions.Depending on the predominant symptoms are the following features of the diet:
• when bloating prohibited foods that stimulate flatulence: beans, cabbage, milk, potatoes, fatty meats and sodas.Recommended lactic acid foods fortified with prebiotics (kefir, yogurt).
fairly common cause of IBS is a goiter, so in addition to diet and use spazmalitikov means normalizing bowel function.Treatment of IBS bloating should operate in two ways: firstly, the need to eliminate the symptoms of bloating, and, secondly, to restore and maintain the balance of the intestinal microflora.Among the facilities that have just these two actions, allocate Redugaz.Simethicone - one of the components contained in the composition, struggling with discomfort in the stomach and intestines from delicately liberates gas bubbles, weakening its surface tension throughout the intestines.The second component of the prebiotic Inulin helps prevent re-formation of gases and restores the balance of good bacteria necessary for proper digestion.Inulin inhibits the growth of bacteria that cause flatulence, bloating therefore re-occurs.Also, of the advantages it can be noted that the device is available in a convenient form as a chewable tablet and has a pleasant mint taste.
• Diarrhea assigned different jelly, strong tea, decoction of blueberries, crackers, low-fat meat broths, porridges from cereals on the water.
• If constipation is recommended to prune, well cooked vegetables, vegetable oil, mashed fruits and vegetables, as well as increased consumption of beverages, including juices with pulp.
Patients with irritable bowel syndrome required regular physical activity.It has a beneficial effect on the nervous system, increases the body's resistance to stress and get rid of depression.
Psychotherapy as a treatment for irritable bowel syndrome
Given the fundamental role of the stress factor in causing the disease, therapeutic interventions can, if not cure the patient, that significantly reduce the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.Many patients with irritable bowel syndrome is recommended consulting a therapist.Psychotherapeutic treatments, including hypnosis techniques can reduce the level of anxiety, learn to resist stressful influences, to adequately respond to problem situations.In some cases, antidepressants (amitriptyline) may be administered to patients with the syndrome.The use of them even in minimal doses allows for a significant improvement in health.
Drug treatment of irritable bowel syndrome
Drug therapy in the syndrome is usually symptomatic and is aimed primarily for the treatment of the predominant symptom.
• When expressed pain and bloating recommended use of analgesics (analgin), as well as means of relaxing the intestinal muscles (dicyclomine).Currently, we recommend that the short courses of treatment with these products.In addition, when used bloating Espumizan-drug reduces flatulence.
• Diarrhea shown locking means (loperamide).
• If applicable constipation laxatives - Duphalac.
• Irritable bowel syndrome is often accompanied by intestinal dysbiosis.In this case, it may be recommended preparations containing beneficial bacteria such as bifiform.
Possible complications of irritable bowel syndrome
irritable bowel syndrome, even with prolonged duration does not lead to the formation of tumors and does not predispose to the occurrence of other diseases of the intestine.The prognosis for a favorable syndrome, the disease can be treated successfully, possibly a complete cure.
prevention of irritable bowel syndrome
• Regular psychological training and Motivational to reduce susceptibility to stress.
• correct diet.It is necessary to eat 4-5 times a day, limiting fatty foods and caffeine.Recommended intake of foods rich in dietary fiber, and lactic acid foods with prebiotics.
• Regular exercise stress.
• Refusal of unjustified use of drugs for the treatment of diarrhea, constipation.
therapists Sirotkin EV